Tomato Pie (GF, DF, V*)
A savory summer tomato pie with a gluten-free cornmeal crust and a dairy-free basil-cashew cream.
- 1 and 1/4 cups 156g gluten-free flour, I used bob’s red mill 1:1
- 1/4 cup 30g cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 115g cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup 60ml cold milk, dairy-free if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg beaten
Cashew Basil Cream
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked in boiling hot water for 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 4 to matoes sliced
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For the crust, in a food processer, add the flour, cornmeal, and salt. Process to combine. Add the cold butter and process. With the motor running, add the milk and vinegar. Process until a crust forms.
Flatten dough into disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill the dough. Roll into a 10-inch circle; keep crust as-is for a rustic look or use a 10-inch pan to cut into a circle. Chill an additional 10 minutes.
While the crust chills, drain the cashews. In a high-speed blender, add water, vinegar, garlic, salt, basil and soaked cashews.
Process until very smooth. Add more water as needed.
Heat oven to 375ºF, fill crust with cashew cream and top with tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Brush the crust with egg, and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!