Red Curry Paste
Homemade vegan Thai red curry paste
- 10 dried red Thai chilis soaked in warm water for an hour
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh turmeric
- 5 green onions white and light green parts chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 4-8 fresh Thai red “bird” chilis*
- 1 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed
- 6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 3 stalks lemongrass trimmed, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- zest of 2 limes
- 2 limes juiced
Toast cumin, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in dry sauté pan until fragrant. Cool spices and grind spices finely in grinder.
Drain the dried chilies.
Add dried chilies, spices, green onions, salt, fresh chilies, bell pepper, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, lime zest and lime juice in a high-speed blender. Blend until a paste forms and it is very smooth.
*For a milder paste, use fewer fresh chilis and remove seeds