Black Bean and Kale Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Vegan sweet potatoes stuffed with kale and black beans
- 4 medium sweet potatoes scrubbed clean
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 jalapeno sliced, optional
- 1 red sweet pepper sliced, optional
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water for at least 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2-3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp adobo sauce add more or less depending on taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. With a fork, prick the sweet potatoes in a couple of spots and place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake until soft, about 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. Drain the soaked cashews and add to a high-speed blender with the 1/4 cup water, lime juice, sea salt, maple syrup, chipotles and adobo. Combine until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. Add more water as necessary.
For the beans, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and salt, saute until soft and translucent. Add the cumin and chili powder, stir constantly for 30 seconds. Add the beans and kale, cook, tossing often, until the kale begins to wilt, about 3 minutes.
Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise down the center and push the ends towards the middle so it opens up. Stuff the sweet poatoes with the bean mixture and finish with a drizzle of the chipotle cream and sliced peppers. Enjoy!